Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ok, scratch number 3 from the post below--

--Amanda and I went to a free performance of a quartet from Croatia and they had wine there and I made the mistake of trying some Hungarian red wine even though I should have known better from the night before...it was nice that it warmed me up though because the auditorium was freezing. The performance itself was fantastic, except that the cellist was chewing gum and I noticed every time she chewed. Besides that little bit of unprofessionalism, they were extremely gifted and I loved their song choices. The first was by a Canadian composer and he was actually at the performance, even though he wrote the song over 30 years ago. It was very funky, with the musicians plucking and beating on their instruments throughout the whole thing; Amanda and I were grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Then we had the privilege of being present at the world premiere of the next song, finished by a Croatian composer this year. The third was an old classical piece but I was unfamiliar with it. After the lovely performance, Amanda and I walked past Parliament on the way home, but the laser light show is being perfected for its showing in July, so we sat on the curb and just watched it for a little while.

Before the performance, I came right from the West Block, where I ate a heaping plate full of Asian food at the Taste of Asia kick-off. The food was a bit cold because we had to wait so long for all of the speeches to finish, but it was well worth it. And oh my goodness, there were two performance, one from an Asian band, and another was a Chinese opera singer...and when they introduced her I practically choked on my drink because she had the exact same name as my best Chinese friend so I got excited for a second. It turned out not to be her though, and I wasn't surprised, because my friend is not a singer lol, but it was a freaky coincidence for sure.

Earlier that day had been a pretty exciting one, considering all the out-of-office stuff I did. Nancy arranged for me to interview Jeff that morning but we ran out of time to finish it so after Question Period that afternoon, which Annie and I attended, I got a page to get me into the back rooms where all of the MPs go to chill and we finished up our interview there. After this interview, I felt a lot better about knowing just who I have been interning for. My MP is always crazy busy so I have hardly had the chance to talk to him so it was really nice to finally have a set time where I could do just that. After wrapping up the interview, we walked through the tunnel to a committee meeting in the East Block and we walked past where the original bank safes were and they were so cool!! I had to leave after about half an hour though because I had an appointment at the U.S. Embassy to get my fingerprints taken for my next internship. Things went very smoothly and I am extremely pleased to have those out of the way and taken care of. Now I just have about 500 more forms to fill out and send in!

Yesterday was a little less exciting, I just got some more reading done for my research, but then our group went out to dinner again because it was Friday and we celebrated Robert's birthday. We went to a fancy Italian restaurant place but it was a bit disappointing. Still, I'm not going to complain too much about free food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment