Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Update with Aubrey

Eeeeeeeeeek! Guess who is going to a Garden Party at the Prime Minister's house?!

That's right, be jealous. And I'm going to make sure I get a handshaking-picture with him, too! But that's not happening until Wednesday...in the meantime, our group is spending quite a few hours tomorrow at DFAIT, so that should be uberexciting.

Friday consisted of more reading in the office but then our group went out to dinner to the Black Tomato and I only ate half of my meal so I could save room for dessert. I was in the mood for chocolate (as I always am) so I picked chocolate explosion cake--and it absolutely blew my mind!!!

Saturday morning I walked around to find a good place to do some drawing but it started to rain so I found a nice dry place along the canal where I got a great amount of light and absolutely no raindrops! I sketched there for a couple of hours before heading back to the dorms so that I could meet up with Emma, Courtney, Jordan, and Robert because we had made plans to go to the Rideau Centre at 2. The mall was a good alternative to walking around outside, as it rained on and off for the rest of the day. It also gave me an opportunity to return the scarf I bought at Old Navy the first weekend I got here (when it snowed) because it is not so cold anymore and it shed all over my nice business clothes the first time I wore it--good thing for my lint roller... Courtney just had to show me a cute boutique she had discovered in ByWard Market so we explored that place, too, but I couldn't afford anything so I just admired and got ideas for the future. Then we checked out Chapters, the big bookstore here, and played with all the gizmos in the technology section. It was a fun day. Oh--it didn't end there, either! Priya got together a little group so 5 of us went to a pub down in ByWard and celebrated our last Saturday in Ottawa--that's all I'm sayin'.

Sunday was my bum-day. I devoted the entire morning to working on my Issue Piece (which I posted here, by the way) which was good planning on my part I think because it rained all morning anyway. Our group didn't have anything planned this weekend so some of us wanted to take advantage of Ottawa's "Open Door" event, in which many bulidings around the city were open and free this weekend to the public, but Courtney and Emma checked the website and I guess there wasn't anything decent worth checking out. So instead we stayed in and made our dinners down in the kitchen together and that was fun. Then we ended the night with Spaceballs and it was funny but the sleep I got in afterwards was pretty good, too.

This Monday--oooh boy. Let me just say, if you want something done right, you just gotta do it yourself. I ordered a book from the library last Monday as part of my research and I checked on the status of it on Friday and nobody could find it so I called again today and they finally found it but suggested I get a messenger to retrieve it for me rather than wait for it to come in internal mail so that I would get it faster. So, in trying to get a messenger to get me the book, somehow they thought I wanted the entire "Urgent Box" that the envelope containing the book was in, and I don't know how many times I had to clarify that it was the envelope I wanted and I was dying trying to contain my laughter over the phone. I finally got that book and it turns out that it didn't contain the only 2 articles that I wanted the book for, when the library's online catalogue listed them. If I would have only gone to the library and gotten the book myself...

So this afternoon I worked on my drawing some more and then Priya came home and so I was drawing, the two of sat on my bed and watched My Name is Earl and then SVU and then the Bachelorette, but we paused to eat a bite or two of the creme brulee that Courtney so nicely made for all of us. I can't believe that when the Bachelorette comes on next Monday, Priya and Rabecca won't be there to watch it with me! :'(

Goodness gracious, good night guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment