Yesterday: crazy emotional
Today: crazy wonderful
aka Yesterday, Nancy went over my binder with me and she was extremely pleased with my efforts and the group meeting my MP flowed perfectly; first, we walked around on the floor of the chamber and got our pictures in the Prime Minister's chair and the Speaker of the House's chair, then we had a short Q&A with Jeff and cookies and the mango juice Nancy knows I love so much, then we got a private tour of the historic rooms in the East Block, and finally, per my request, Nancy took us into the Library and the old Reading Rooms. All in all, it was AWESOME!!
HOWEVER, after work we went to the Prime Minister's House for the Garden Party and, long story short, I enjoyed my presence at the party for a mere 2 minutes before being escorted out upon their realization of my lowly position. Sad day, sad day indeed...
But atleast it gave me the time I needed to finish my gift for Jeff and the staff, which I gave them today, as it was my last day with him and Nancy. I got up uber early this morning to find a place to copy my drawing of the Peace Tower so I could give out multiple copies. I had planned on going to Kwik Kopy because it was on the way and opened at 8:30, which was perfect and would give me plenty of time before work but I waited there until 8:45 and no one was there! I passed by the public library, which didn't open until 10, and another copy shop didn't capture all of the shades which simply wouldn't do, so I ended up just walking to work and walked down to the library there instead of up to my office. The very cute library boy (why haven't I gone to the libary before?!) tried to help me out but the shades still weren't all captured and I had just as equally bad luck at the printing station. So I didn't want to be any later for work so I just went up to the office and told Tara my troubles and she suggested a few places (as I am still unfamiliar with many of the stores here) and it turns out Grand & Toy offered the service I needed to exceed my expectations.
So I had 4 copies printed and after a very special lunch in the Parliamentary Restaurant as well as another very exciting QP session which Tara arranged for me to view from the Senate section, I gave Jeff a U of M T-Shirt (which he got totally stoked about) on behalf of my group for the time he spent with us the day before, and I presented him a copy of my drawing (which got me a hug) for him to frame and hang in his office or wherever. I stayed for committee for a few minutes but then headed back to the office so I could meet Tara's adorable baby for the one and only time and I just ended up staying awhile hanging out with Nancy. I have some new YouTube favorites, such as this one here:
By the time I got back to committee, it was over so Jeff and I walked back to the office together, which gave us the chance to talk because he wasn't too crazy busy for once. Even though my group was scheduled to meet at the Canal Ritz for its last group dinner, I preferred staying at the office until Jeff and Nancy left because it gave me the chance to really talk with them--no distractions, no rush to get anywhere. So maybe I would have preferred something like this the 2nd day I was here, rather than the 2nd to last day of my internship, but I'm just ecstatic that I finally got to connect with 2 such important people on the Hill. As they insisted, it will not be too hard keeping in touch and saying hi, because fortunately Windsor is just so darn close to the border! I really was blessed with the office I got placed in, and I am very satisfied that my last day with Jeff and Nancy will leave such an impression on my overall experience here in Ottawa.
Speaking of being satisfied, after a very satisfying walk (though heavy, as I carried my drawing pad right from the office to the restaurant) along the canal on the way to the Canal Ritz, and a satisfying fettucine dinner, Dr. Olive presented us with paper plate awards and I got the "Happy, Excited, and Thrilled" one! I have to admit, I was anxious what my award was going to be but getting this award was such a pleasant compliment and I am glad to hear that I give off such a notable ever-happy, excited, and/or thrilled vibe.
No comments:
Post a Comment